Monday, September 19, 2011

Velvet Rosette Pillow




This year I decided that I needed a more comfortable bed.  I see it as an investment in my future; a more comfortable bed equals better sleep, which in turn helps me to perform better in everyday life.  See? Investment.  On that note, I guess an adorable pillow doesn't really do much for comfort (I take it off my bed when I sleep) but it does make me happy.  And that's all that matters :)

I cut the velvet to 14" per square, but if I had more fabric I would have made the pillow more oversized.  With right sides together I pinned my piping on the inside, right up to the edge, with the round piping facing towards the center of the fabric.

You can use this nice tutorial on from TLC to make pillows using piping, just scroll down to read the section on "Making a Pillow with Piping/Cording."

And if you are super awesome, you can make your own piping using this really easy-to-follow tutorial.






For this lovely pillow I wanted tho make it look all profesh' with neon yellow piping. The piping just gives it a really nice store-bought, finished look.  Of course I couldn't find any neon piping so I took some neon fabric paint that I bought at Joann's and painted white piping instead.  How resourceful.



My pillow looked good, but then I remembered these cute buttons that I bought like 5 years ago (ok, maybe like 3).  They made the perfect pair, so I just hand-sewed one button on right in the middle of the pillow and before clipping the thread I then sewed on the other button in the exact same place on the other side of the pillow.  So easy.


No comments:

Post a Comment