Tuesday, December 27, 2011

De Lovely Woven Crate Table

Now that Christmas is over, I can post some unrelated-to-Christmas topics.  A couple of weeks ago I had to create something for my 'Intro to Textiles' course final.  In regards to the material covered, it had to be plaited (woven) or crocheted.  It also had to be interesting.

Because my love of interior design sometimes overshadows my love for apparel design, I first imagined a table.  But not just any table, a table with a plaited top.  Plaited using some kind of heavy duty ribbon, and glitter. Yes, silver glitter. And upholstering pins.  

Are you picturing anything?

Well wait just a minute.  I also knew that I wanted to make this table using the free crate/end table I found left behind at the flea market--the poor thing had one detached wooden piece and was merely abandoned.  I however, knew this was not reason enough to forego a piece of furniture such as itself.

I started my project by first removing the existing top of the crate--much to the dismay of my roommates.  Using hot glue, a staple gun and the movie "As Good As It Gets" for entertainment I mounted the cotton ribbon all to one side of the table.  Be sure to staple them close together.

I had already glittered up the other half of ribbons using fabric paint, silver glitter, and modge podge.  If you don't decoupage it glitter will be in the crevices of your house forever. 

I promise.

Once everything was mounted, I worked to weave a tribal-inspired weave.  After I was satisfied with the pattern I mounted the other side, then adding upholstering pins.  I have used these pins a couple of times, but for the first time I used this successful process:

First, partially hammer a nail into your MARKED spot for the pin.  I highly recommend that you measure out where and how far apart each pin should go.  Remove the nail and pop the pin in.  
Tip* When using the nails, pick a size that matches the pins well or is a tiny bit smaller.

I know you all are waiting for the big reveal...








I hope you love it as much as I do, because I really am in love.





1 comment: