Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Playing House: Living Room/Dining Room


Photos from above are from here, here, here, and here.

First off, I would like to note that when decorating living rooms (or any room for that matter) the size and layout definitely determines what one can use.  This layout is only one of many, meaning that  I will probably continue to make new living room (and dining room) arrangements in order to demonstrate all of the possibilities based on different home layouts.
That being said, this is an L-shaped living room, big enough that it can also house my dining room.  I’ll start with the dining room portion; the table is custom built by a local craftsman who works with old barn wood.  It’s reminiscent of an old farm table, big enough to occupy lots of guests.  The bench is also custom built out of the same wood.  The chairs don’t match but are cohesive; they have been collected over the years at goodwill, flea markets, or stores like this one.  That buffet is an old mid century credenza refinished, kinda like this one on Craigslist.  Some photos and interesting art hang gallery style above it.  I’d like to think there are some lovely books and vintage glass jars resting on the buffet.




The couch is lovely and can be found here!  That coffee table is an old industrial cart that I found in my dad’s old warehouse, but can also be found at restoration hardware or you can get one off of craigslist and refinish it like I did.  Some sweet tables have been picked out to be included in the mix.  The first would be my lovely marble table that I found in college :) The other end table is more rustic and holds this great industrial lamp.
Some chairs like this one or similar sit on the other side of the coffee table.

That old fireplace either came with the house and works or was found at a flea market and is whimsically decorated with birch logs, books, or funky tile on the inside like in the pictures below.  It is the focus of the room and holds lots of character.






The bookshelves have been built around the fireplace and are white, just like the walls.  They hold many treasured items and books, all arranged beautifully.  And did I mention that artwork over the fireplace?  I love Lulie Wallace’s work like the one below so much, and it adds a good dose of color to the space.



These lights hang over the coffee table and this rug is underfoot.  Finally, a gold vintage chandelier like in the picture below and IKEA rug in the dining room complete the look.  Don’t you just love it?


http://dustjacketattic.blogspot.com/2012/06/black-white.html
 

Oh my goodness! I almost forgot to mention the floors!  Wooden of course, but white washed to give it that worn in feel.  Yum, just like in this picture below.



Hope you enjoyed this space as much as I did making it!






No comments:

Post a Comment