Monday, October 10, 2011

Jesus Glitter Fish

Ok, I'm just gonna put this out here.  I'm a Christian.  Yep, that's right. I am a Jesus Freak.
And proud of it.

Well, now that I've told you that tidbit of important information, you will understand why I would want to make a Jesus fish. In glitter.  Ok, maybe not so much the glitter part, but if you know me, then you'll understand.

We're gonna take a trip down memory lane...remember that cool barnwood I bought at the flea market???
No?
Ok here is a pic to jog your memory...

Keep a good eye on the white one cause that is the one I'm gonna use in this post.

Now fast forward a little and I was visiting home for the weekend.  I watched some recorded episodes of Home by Novogratz because my tv in my apartment doesn't get HGTV. I know!!! It should be a crime I tell ya.

Anyways the Novogratz couple had to style this home for its big debut and they got this awesome artist to  make glitter art.  (My cousin says that she is officially not an artist because anyone can do glitter art but that is another story)
I suppose she may be right though.

Well, long story short: I was inspired.

So I bought some Martha Stewart glitter from Michael's, along with her little bottle of decoupage and some elmers adhesive spray.  And I was off.

First I had to glue the wood together a little better because it was falling apart.  Elmer's wood glue folks.
Then I measured halfway across the wood for the spot to nail a picture hanging thing.
After, I measured out what looked to me like a fish that would be evenly spaced and proportioned.  You can be the judge of that though...

Then came taping time.  I outlined the fish in tape, then used my ruler as an official distance calculator (I just made that up) to create the space where the glitter would go.  That doesn't make much sense so here are the pics:


In these pics my mom, sister, and I had already applied the adhesive spray (which worked wonderfully) and the glitter.  I then shook a bunch of the loose stuff off and put on a second coat.

I decoupaged that thing up (twice) and called it a day.

Not really of course.  Does anyone understand the amazing feeling of peeling off the tape to see your completed glory.  Well I was just dying waiting for that moment.  So I didn't let the decoupage dry--which may be a good thing cause then it won't peel off when I remove the tape.  Anyways, so it did run a bit when I tried to hang it but if you just lay your piece flat it will dry overnight (or maybe in a few hours, the bottle didn't say)

BIG REVEAL!!!!--and I actually got decent pictures this time!

Oh it makes me so happy.  I just love it.

Here is more in detail:






YUMMY!

Please comment and tell me what ya think!

Also, I'm linked up over at the picket fence! Come check it out!






1 comment:

  1. Seriously beautiful! We are Jesus freaks too so you are in good company with us! LOL!
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete